February 14th, 2012 10:45 AM by Lehel S.
Judy Chu, our local Congresswoman is having this great service publicized. Please pass this along to anyone that may be able to benefit.
With income tax filing season upon us, I want to make sure every resident of the 32nd District has valuable information that will make filing easier, less burdensome and may even save you money on your return.
I am excited to tell you that my office will be providing residents of the 32nd District an invaluable resource for filing returns.
Every year I open my office to residents of the 32nd District earning $50,000 or less to file their taxes for free through the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) Program. The VITA program provides IRS-trained volunteers to file tax returns at various locations within our community. I’ve been working closely with VITA since my time on the Board of Equalization, and I’m proud to be one of the few Congressional offices that provide this service in our state.
Last year alone, we helped secure filing assistance for over 1,000 people. Over 200 of those individuals had their filing done right in my district office, saving them more than $18,000 in tax preparation fees. I’m hoping to help even more residents of our community this year.
Here’s what you need to know:
· Appointments are required and can be made by calling(626) 448-1271. If my office is full, we will help you find an opening at another VITA location near your home
· Bilingual volunteers are available for anyone who speaksSpanish, Mandarin or Cantonese
Here are the times and locations my office will be providing VITA services:
· Monday-Friday from 9am to 4pm starting February 1st and continuing through April 17th in my El Monte Office: 4401 Santa Anita Ave, Ste. 201, El Monte, CA 91731
· In partnership with the Chinatown Service Center, every Sunday from 1pm to 4pm starting February 5th and continuing through April 15th at the Monterey Park Bruggemeyer Library: 318 S. Ramona Ave, Monterey Park, CA 91754
· Every Thursday from 9am to 3pm at the Jack Crippen Multipurpose Senior Center: 3120 North Tyler Avenue, El Monte, CA 91731
VITA services in conjunction with the Office of State Controller John Chang:
· Thursday, February 16, from 10am to 4pm at the Esther Snyder Community Center: 4100 Baldwin Park Boulevard, Baldwin Park, CA 91706
· Thursday, March 1, from 10am to 4pm at the Monterey Park Bruggemeyer Library: 318 S. Ramona Ave, Monterey Park, CA 91754
· Thursday, March 6, from 1pm to 6pm at Women at Work: 3871 E. Colorado Blvd., Pasadena, CA 91107
Here’s what you’ll need to bring:
· Valid Photo ID
· Social Security Card or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number for all family members
· All W-2’s and 1099’s (if any)
· Copy of Prior-Year Tax Return
· Bank Account and Routing Number for Direct Deposit or your Balance Due
· Other income/expense information
· Total Tuition Fees and Expenses
· Total Expenses Paid for Child/Day Care
· Day Care Providers Identifying Number
· Landlord’s name, address and phone number for CA Renter’s Credit
Make sure you don’t miss out on your opportunity for free filing assistance. Make your appointment right now by calling (626) 448-1271. Together we will make this year even more successful than the last for the VITA program in my office. I look forward to seeing you soon!
Judy Chu, PhDMember of Congress